When you think of “typical” cannabis consumers, who comes to mind? Perhaps it’s individuals who use it to unwind after a long day of work, or young art majors who use it to tap into their imagination. You may also think of those who prefer alternative cannabinoids like Delta 8 or Delta 10, for more manageable effects. Would you believe us if we told you that the one demographic that’s seen a surprising uptick in its usage is seniors? Yes, you read that right- grandma and grandpa might be joining the ranks of those exploring the world of THC.
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), senior cannabis use has nearly tripled from 11% (2009) to 32% (2019) in the span of 10 years. On top of that, more than half of the 60-64 demographic reported cannabis use, which is another sharp increase. Before you run off to cop some grams for your Grams, the question arises: Is THC safe for grandma? Follow along as we detail the potential benefits along with products that we recommend for senior use.
The Changing Landscape: Senior Cannabis Consumption
Traditionally, marijuana was associated with rebellious youth, but times are changing. As societal attitudes evolve and legal restrictions continue undergoing a significant transformation across the US, we find ourselves witnessing a dramatic shift in demographics. The numbers tell a compelling story. Older adults are becoming increasingly curious about cannabis, along with its potential benefits.
Some seek alternative remedies for several age-related ailments like chronic pain and insomnia. While others may be revisiting their past experiences, looking to reintegrate cannabis into their lives as a means of relaxation. These shifts highlight the need to examine the safety of marijuana use among seniors.
Potential Benefits Of THC for Seniors:
- Pain Management: One of the most common reasons seniors explore THC is for pain relief. As bodies age, chronic pain conditions can become more prevalent. Some studies suggest that certain compounds in cannabis, like CBD and THC, might provide relief from pain and inflammation.
- Sleep Aid: Seniors often grapple with sleep issues, with issues such as insomnia and disrupted sleep patterns becoming more prevalent as age progresses. Studies indicate that THC's relaxing effects may offer a solution for older adults with insomnia. Some individuals report improved sleep quality with controlled THC use.
- Mood Enhancement: THC and hemp based products containing Delta 8, Delta 10 and more are known for their potential mood-enhancing properties. Seniors often find themselves facing unique challenges in their later years. For those dealing with feelings of isolation, depression, or anxiety, controlled cannabis use might offer a new perspective.
- Stress Relief: THC has the ability to stimulate the release of neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin in the brain, which are associated with pleasure and mood regulation. This boost in neurotransmitter activity can result in an improved mood and increased feelings of contentment. THC's relaxing effects can help seniors unwind and reduce the levels of stress and anxiety that often accompany these emotional struggles.
Best THC Products For Seniors
Now that we've explored the changing landscape of senior cannabis consumption and the potential benefits of THC, let's delve into the best THC products tailored to the older demographic. While seniors are increasingly turning to THC for various reasons, it's crucial to recommend products that prioritize their well-being and provide a safe and enjoyable experience.
For Beginners: Mellow Fellow Micro Dose M-Fusions Gummies
With just 5mg of cannabinoids in total per gummy, split evenly between 2.5mg Delta 8 and 2.5mg CBD, Mellow Fellow’s 10-count bags of Micro Dose M-Fusions Gummies are the perfect introduction to the world of cannabis. Available in the refreshing and vibrant taste of Fruit Punch flavor and the deliciously tangy Sour Mix. These gummies allow you to dip your toe into the experience, providing a gentle and controlled way to explore the potential benefits of cannabinoids.
For The Experienced: Mellow Fellow Delta 8 THC M-Fusions Edibles
If you don’t consider yourself new to this, but rather true to this, we recommend the Mellow Fellow Delta 8 THC M-Fusions edibles. With the 1000 mg edibles, each gummy provides 50mg of high quality Delta 8. These tasty edibles are available in the tantalizing Fruit Punch flavor, for an elevated mouth watering experience, as well as the tangy Sour Mix. Whether you're seeking relaxation or a new adventure, these Delta 8 THC M-Fusions edibles are designed to cater to the preferences and needs of the experienced cannabis connoisseur.
Safety Considerations: A Balanced Approach
While the potential benefits of THC for seniors are intriguing, safety should always be a top priority. Here are a few key factors to consider:
- Medical Supervision: Seniors interested in trying THC should consult their healthcare providers first. Physicians can offer personalized advice based on medical history and potential drug interactions.
- Dosage and Form: One should start with low doses, especially if you are new to using THC. We advise that you choose consumption methods that align with your preferences. Edibles, for instance, might have a delayed onset and longer-lasting effects, requiring careful dosing. The upside to edibles is that the longer-lasting effects lend themselves to prolonged potential relief. They also don’t involve inhaling smoke, which could be especially harmful for older adults.
- Quality Control: Opt for products from reputable sources to ensure consistency, quality, and safety. Third party lab-tested products ensure that you’re getting premium THC free of contaminants.
- Mindful Usage: Moderation is key. Seniors should be aware of their reactions to THC and adjust their usage accordingly. It's important to avoid overconsumption, which can lead to negative side effects.
As more seniors express interest in exploring THC's potential benefits, there's a growing need for research and education. Understanding how THC interacts with the aging body, potential risks, and optimal dosages is crucial. Seniors, their families, and healthcare providers should engage in open conversations to make informed decisions.
The surge in marijuana use among seniors signals a broader shift in societal perceptions and acceptance. The question of whether THC is safe for grandma is complex, but with the right information, guidance, and a cautious approach, it's possible that seniors can experience the potential benefits of cannabis while prioritizing their health and well-being. As we navigate this evolving landscape, the key lies in finding the delicate balance between exploration and responsible usage.
We are proud to be featured on Leafly.
Share on Social